Because more and more people are learning about the health benefits of cherries, I decided to develop a recipe using tart cherry juice, cherry tea, and fresh cherries. The recipe is Triple Cherry Chiller.
|Triple Cherry Chiller|
The recipe is easy to put together. You start by brewing the tea. I used Celestial Seasonings” Black Cherry Berry. Of course, many other flavors of tea could be used instead, such as raspberry zinger. I used 3 tea bags to 4 cups of water.
You let the tea steep for about 10 minutes. Then add the juice. I used tart cherry juice.
|tart cherry juice|
Then you refrigerate the mixture. When ready to serve, cut up some fresh cherries to add to each glass along with some ice.
|fresh cherries cut into quarters|
4 cups boiling water
3 black cherry berry tea bags (or other cherry-flavored tea)
2 cups 100% tart cherry juice
6 Tbsp fresh or frozen sweet cherries, pitted if fresh and quartered
Agave nectar or honey or sugar, if desired
Pour boiling water over tea bags in large pitcher; let steep for 10 minutes. Remove tea bags and discard. Add juice to tea. Refrigerate. When ready to serve, add 1 tablespoon quartered cherries and ice to each glass; pour beverage. Sweeten to taste with agave nectar, honey, or sugar, if desired. Optional: garnish each glass with one whole cherry.
Makes 6 servings (about 6 cups total).
Nutrition Information per Serving:
43 calories, 0 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, mg cholesterol, 0.2 g dietary fiber, 0.4 g protein, and 7 mg sodium.
Cost per Serving: $0.59
Pricing Note: The cherry juice was $4.99 for 64 fl ounces and fresh cherries were found on sale for $2.99 a pound.
No sugar added pomegranate juice can be use instead of 100% tart cherry juice if desired.
For more great summer beverage recipes, go to these great blogs.
- Gretchen- Kumquat Ginger Ale
- Carlene Helble- Carlene's Figments Mint Berry Seltzer
- Kara Lydon- Peace, Love, and Food Blueberry Basil Lemonade Fizz
- Deanna Segrave-Daly- Teaspoon of Spice Cantaloupe Basil Aqua Fresca Fizz
- Jessica Fishman Levinson- Nutritioulicious Blueberry Basil Cooler
- Marie Spano- Performance Nutrition Post-Workout Power Smoothie
- Elizabeth Jarrard- Don't White Sugar-Coat It Southern Blackberry Smash
- Emily Greenfield- The Nutriscientist Apple, pear and strawberry smoothie with Chia
- Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian Fresh Fruit and Club Soda Cooler
- Regan Jones- The Professional Palate Berry-Lime Bubbly
- Kat Lynch- Eating the Week Sparkling melon fizz - nice & naughty
- Lisa- Healthful Sense Berry Refreshing Chia Seed Smoothie
- EA Stewart- The Spicy RD Gingery Peach Float
- Alysa Bajenaru- Inspired RD Blackberry Banana Swirl
- Ann Dunaway Teh- Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish Pregnancy Mocktails
- Yuri- Chef Pandita Green Tea Ginger Limeade with Chia Seeeds
- Karman Meyer- Nutrition Adventures Orange-Mint Iced Green Tea
- Cherie Schetselaar- Grain Crazy Mango Strawberry Smoothie
- Emma Stirling- The Scoop on Nutrition Recipe Redux Tangelo-ade
- Carrie Miller- Nutrition Know How 12 Smoothie Recipes to Beat the Heat
- Alexandra Caspero- Delicious Knowledge Strawberry Splash Mojito
- Janel Ovrut Funk- Eat Well with Janel Blog Mango Melon Smoothie
- Liz Weiss & Janice Newell Bissex- Meal Makeover Moms' Kitchen Pint-Size Pina Colada
- Danielle Omar- Food Confidence RD Almond Iced-Coffee Latte
- Rebecca Scritchfield- #MeFirst Banana Split Smoothie