Helping families eat healthier for less

Helping families eat healthier for less

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Green and Gold Kiwifruit are Nutrition Superstars






I received free samples of green and gold kiwifruit mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am promoting kiwifruit. I was not compensated for my time.



I just received a package containing green and sungold kiwifruit from Zespri. This is actually the second care package they have sent me as the first one arrived while I was out of town on vacation in Alaska. My next door neighbor enjoyed them thoroughly.

If you've not seen or experienced SunGold kiwifruit, let me try to explain the differences between it and more commonly known green kiwifruit. The gold variety is a little larger, has smoother and hairless skin, its flesh is yellow, and it tastes slightly sweeter but with a tang. The SunGold variety is a cross between gold varieties that Zespri spent 10 years developing through natural crossbreeding methods.

Nutritionally, there are differences between the gold and green. A serving size is 2 medium kiwifruit. The chart below compares the two varieties.   You can see that the sungold has more naturally occurring sugar, potassium and vitamin C.

  
(based on 2 med fruit)
Green
SunGold
calories
90
110
fat
1 g
0 g
fiber
4 g
2 g
sugar (naturally occurring)
13 g
20 g
potassium
460 mg
520 mg
vitamin C (% DV)
230%
430%
vitamin E (% DV)
10%
10%


My kiwifruit came with a perfect little spoon/knife for cutting the kiwifruit in half, scooping out the fruit and enjoying.





You can find more information and recipes at www.zesprikiwi.com.












No comments:

Post a Comment